I've continued working on, and playing through, Abyssal Botany.
I've played quite a lot since my last post; my base has progressed substantially.
As for development changes, I've fleshed out the progression so far and am reasonably happy with how it's turned out. So far:
- it's standard Botania Garden of Glass ++ at first.
- Then to get terrasteel or a botanical brewery, you have to make it to the Abyssal Wasteland and get refined coralium; this could be done purely from PE on a sacrifice altar, but that's slow and grindy. Instead, you can craft shoggoth biomass for only 30 PE, and then set up a shoggoth arena to get monolith stone and statues.
- Terrasteel is required to fight Asorah and reach the Dreadlands.
- Dreadium is required for the Portal to Alfheim.
- After Alfheim, The End is readily accessible, opening up infinite elytra, flight courtesy of Colytra, and corporea. Alfheim resources are required for the Cha'Garoth fight and Omothol.
- Omothol resources gate the Gaia fights, but then both Gaia I, Gaia II, and J'zahar are available.
Overall, I want to promote some level of gating without creating grind; there's no Applied Energistics in this pack, but I want to make automation interesting and largely possible using simple tools that promote interesting interactions.
I've continued to tweak crafting recipes and add some additional recipes to enforce progression or make progression or automations possible. For example, I've added a crafting recipe for antimatter and for vanilla mob spawners.
Additionally, I've made config changes to make some automations possible and accessible; Quark's iron rod only requires iron, and the Mana Lens: Weight and Bore have both been substantially buffed to hardness 5 (hardest ore in the pack) and 8 (hardest block in the pack), respectively.
Oh, and evil animals shall never grace the spawn tables, because that's just mean for skyblock. Do watch out for them through disruptions, though!
I've also finally configured orechids for Abyssalcraft ores, and wrote necronomicon entries for them. Here's one of their entries.
The modlist hasn't changed much since last time; I've added Peckish, Incorporeal, and Garbage Bins. Any further mods I add I want to add because they do one, or few, things and do them well. I want to keep the core gameplay to Botania and Abyssalcraft. Various mods have been updated for feature additions and bugfixes. Modlist here.
Honestly, the pack may be feature-complete and ready for at least a prerelease now. I expect to continue tweaking and put together a prerelease by the next Work-In-Progress. I still want to:
- make the Orechid generate overworld copper ore, instead of Abyssal copper ore
- spellcheck my writings, and expand/integrate custom lore into the Lexica Botania
- Add various Abyssalcraft resources to the Conjuration Catalyst
- Double-check recipe tweaks for sanity